Saturday, May 14, 2011

Prologue "Beautiful Mess"

After only a few weeks of knowing each other, Rob called me one day while I was walking out of class at Concordia University. I remember him saying, “I heard a song that made me think of you. It is so us.” Of course I tried to play it cool, when really I was desperately wanting to do a search on iTunes to hear the words this 24 year old who had stolen my concentration since our “first date” eating on the bed of his truck, had made him think of “us.” From the beginning of when we started dating in November of 2004, we had a constant energy that was always drawing us together. We drove miles to see each other and gave up weekends at college by the beach, so we could spend every free minute together. “Beautiful Mess” by Diamond Rio summed up how we started followed by some Kenny Chesney.
And so, we were wild, we were crazy, we were mostly young.
But the Lord had bigger plans than just another relationship, for each of us. His golden eyes, warm spirit, and calm leading nature stole my heart while my cheery, driven, simple yet complicated being drove him to propose on December 20, 2006.
We took our time to plan the most beautiful wedding ceremony and romantic reception at Dove Country Club on March 22, 2008. We danced to “Me and You” and I couldn’t have been happier. Meanwhile the Lord was working our hearts to be knit together in a seamless fashion. We grew as our values and desire to build a steadfast Christian family became a reality on afternoon after a day of shopping at our favorite store, Costco.
I could barely contain myself as we drove home, but I wanted to be looking at him strait in the eyes when I shared the words. Something had clicked inside me as I saw a little onesie inside the big warehouse I had been to a million times. Something Rob had known since the moment he said I do… and yes, I had wanted children since I was old enough to play with my cabbage patch kids “JC” and “Gabby”. I had babysat my whole life and knew nothing more that I wanted children of my own. And though I knew Rob would be an amazing daddy (one of things that made me know he was keeper on top of the list), I just didn’t know if I wanted to share him yet. My standard line was “5 or 6 years.” And honestly thought I could wait that long.
Then a dear friend said the words to me, “You think you love your husband now, wait til you have children. You will find new ways to love him even more,” my heart and mind began to work together.  I needed some deep study in the Word, and soon saw I trusted in my husband that after the Lord, I would always be his number one priority.
So as the moment he put Holly the Honda in park, I ran around to his door and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, like I’ve done a million times before, and said the words that would forever change our lives.
“I am ready!”  
And so our young & crazy friendship, smitten romance, blossomed marriage would now become an even more beautiful mess- a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment